WHALE WATCH TOUR
- Adult Ages 13+
- Youth Ages 5-12
- Private Charter Ages 5+ • Up to 4 People
Experience Rugged Beauty & Marine Life!
Join us aboard Tide Runner, a 24 foot rigid hulled Zodiac Hurricane™ and experience the wonders of the Bay of Fundy. After donning your Mustang™ flotation suit and a short trip briefing, you will embark on the adventure of a lifetime. Once underway, we will weave our way among the bays and channels of the West Isles. Rugged beauty and diverse bird and marine life surround you.
The world’s highest twice-daily tides stir up a bounty of food in local waters, which attracts several species of migratory whales. These include the Minke (12-30ft), the Finback (35-75ft) and Humpbacks (30-50ft), the “clowns of the sea,” and the North Atlantic Right Whale, the rarest whale in the world. You will have an excellent chance of sighting one or more of any of these species on your tour. In addition to the whales, you will likely encounter harbour seals, harbour porpoises, Atlantic puffins, bald eagles, razorbill auks, black guillemots, and other pelagic sea birds.
Our sightings (whales) generally start around mid-June and we go strong right to the end of the season (mid-October). Whales are migratory so we must wait for them to arrive in mid-June. Minke whales are the first to arrive followed by the Finbacks and, finally, in July or August the Humpbacks show up. Our sighting rate is usually between 95-100% once the season starts. Right whales are a rare sight that generally only comes in late September/October. We provide a pre-season trip (nature cruise), which includes sightings of seals, eagles, porpoise and whatever else mother nature will provide. We can never guarantee any sightings but I can assure you any trip on the water in the beautiful Bay of Fundy is an experience you will never forget.
Your safety is important to us. To have fun you must feel safe and secure. With us, safety starts with the boat. The Canadian Coast Guard uses the exact same vessel model as we do for their high-speed rescue craft. In addition all our safety gear meets or exceeds Canadian Coast Guard regulations.
Tide Runner I and Tide Runner II are both 24-foot rigid-hulled Zodiac
Hurricanes™. Powered by twin 150 Yamaha gas engines, the Zodiac’s power, and speed enable us to find whales and wildlife wherever they may be. Both vessels are constructed to military standards and consist of a deep “V” hull, surrounded by a five-chamber inflated Hypalon collar. Each Zodiac is equipped with radar, chart plotter, GPS, radios, cell phone, and depth sounder, which provide safe and secure operation in all weather. Tide Runner I and Tide Runner II are always kept in top running order offering the fastest and most exciting whale watching experience in the entire Bay.
Each passenger over 90 lbs. is provided with a Canadian-approved full-length Mustang™ flotation suit for safety and comfort. Sizes range from xs to xxl. Children under 90 lbs. will be provided with a Personal Flotation Device (PFD). We carry a maximum of 12 passengers. Sorry, but we are unable to accommodate children under five (5) years of age.
It is always cool on the water no matter what time of the year, so it is highly advised that you dress appropriately. Be sure to bring sunscreen, warm footwear, long pants, and a warm fleece or sweater. For children under 90lbs who will be using a supplied PFD, warm clothes are essential. Being dressed appropriately will add greatly to your enjoyment of the tour.
After your tour or any time you are in the neighborhood, be sure to visit our boutique which is located in our reservations office. We are located in the Day Adventure Centre at the head of the Market Wharf in St. Andrews-by-the-Sea, NB.
- If you have reserved individual seats for yourself or your party, we require 4 hours* cancellation notice (*if you are booked on a 10am departure, we require 12 hours notice) or your credit card will be charged for the full amount.
- For a full charter (if you have booked the entire boat), we require 48 hours notice or the full amount will be charged to your credit card.
- Pouring rain, dense fog and high wind will cancel a trip but it is best to call to see if the trip will be cancelled or postponed.
- We are sorry but we do not make exceptions to our policy.
- Departure times and trip length may be influenced by sea and/or weather conditions.
- Fundy Tide Runners reserves the right to alter or cancel any scheduled or charter tours.
- Our regular tours may not be suitable for expectant mothers or those in frail health.
- For safety reasons we regret we cannot take children under the age of 5.
- No smoking or alcoholic beverages on board.